[gothic-l] Attila's dirge

Giuseppe Pagliarulo g.pagliarulo at TIN.IT
Fri Oct 19 22:23:19 UTC 2001

Hails!

Some of you people may have noticed my long absence from the list. I'm
now happy to find out that there's a renewed interest in translation,
so let me come back with a Latin-to-Gothic version of Attila's death
song
as transcribed by Iordanes:

auhumists Hunnane þiudans Attila, attin gabaurans Mundjukin,
swinþostaizo þiudo frauja, saei unhausidai faurþis mahtai ains skwþja
jah þiudiska reikja reikinoda jah raihtis ba þo Rumonje baurgs reikja
at ganumanaim baurgim usagida jah, ei anþara ni birauboda waurþeina,
gawairþeigs waurþans bidom jeraleikata gild miþnam: þanuh alla þo
anstai lewis gatawida, ni wundufnjai fijande, ni liugna seinaize, ak
þiudai gawairþeigai in fahedim faginonds inuh arbaidein gadraus. Hvas
nu þata dauþus wisan
ufkunnai, þatei ni ainshun habaiþ fraweitan?

The same in Mierow's translation:

The chief of the Huns, King Attila, born of his sire Mundiuch, lord of
bravest tribes, sole possessor of the Scythian and German
realms--powers unknown before--captured cities and terrified both
empires of the Roman world and, appeased by their prayers, took annual
tribute to save the rest from plunder. And when he had accomplished
all this by the favor of fortune, he fell, not by wound of the foe,
nor by treachery of friends, but in the midst of his nation at peace,
happy in his joy and without sense of pain. Who can rate this as
death, when none believes it calls for vengeance?

Ok, I know I should be posting this to gutiska, but it's a literal
translation of Jordanes' prose piece and I would love to see it put in
verse. Take it as an official challenge if you wish :P Would somebody
like to have a try?

Izwar,

Iosef Strawarila
--