[gothic-l] Re: The Lament of Gudrun and the sayings of Hamdir in the Poetic Edda

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Oct 22 08:18:58 UTC 2001

Hails, Matþaius

This is not the only meaningfull name in this story.
The names of (H)Ammius/Hamdir and Sarus/Sörli are derived, according
to Felix Genzmer, from Gothic hama- and sarwa-, both meaning "arms".
Genzmer speaks in this case about "sprechende Namen" ("speaking
names"). This facts gives to the whole story a very legendary look,
even if it is connection with a historical person (Ermanaric). Maybe
the story has some historic basis, but the names Sunilda/Swanhild,
Ammius/Hamdir and Sarus/Sörli seem to be imaginary, created to fit the
purpose of the story.

Fragkisks

--- In gothic-l at y..., "M. Carver" <matt at i...> wrote:
> Goleins, Fragkisks
>
> The name has much more meaningfulness in terms of the story as well.
>
> -Matþaius
>
> From: "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...>
> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:14:13 -0000
> To: gothic-l at y...
> Subject: [gothic-l] Re: The Lament of Gudrun and the sayings of
Hamdir in
> the Poetic Edda
>

> Hails, Mat<thorn>aiu!
>
> I notice that you have re-gothicized "Swanhild" as "Swanahilds".
> But Jordanes uses "Sunilda", that is interpreted as "Sühne-hild"
> (Sühne in German means "atonement") and probably was reinterpreted
> later (probably by the Scandinavians) as "Swan-hild". Thus, the
Gothic

http://us.click.yahoo.com/d49MCB/3WDDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM