[gothic-l] Re: Balkan

Nenad Mitovski mitovski at EUNET.YU
Wed Oct 24 23:44:31 UTC 2001

| Well, it is a wrong assumption that all Transilvanian Saxons were

| happened with origin-legends) From the 11th/12th centuries many
| Germanic speaking people (often from the Rhineland) moved to the areas
| of present day Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria and Moldova at the Black Sea
| and so on. I guess most Germanic placenames and customs that may exist
| in these areas are attributable to them rather than Goths.

        All of that is far from central parts of Balkan I've described and it
doesn't look connected.

        Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any such customs preserved
in these rarely inhabited mountains. I'll try to find out if there is any tale
about placenames, but I don't believe there are, although I would surely like
to know why one mountain top has name "Goglin".

        Basic question is could disappearance of Goths and appearance of Slavs
in that part of Balkan and Europe be connected.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Pv4pGD/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM