[gothic-l] Re: Balkan

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Oct 25 08:57:41 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Nenad Mitovski" <mitovski at e...> wrote:
> | Well, it is a wrong assumption that all Transilvanian Saxons were
>
> | happened with origin-legends) From the 11th/12th centuries many
> | Germanic speaking people (often from the Rhineland) moved to the
areas
> | of present day Hungary, Rumania, Bulgaria and Moldova at the Black
Sea
> | and so on. I guess most Germanic placenames and customs that may
exist
> | in these areas are attributable to them rather than Goths.
>
>         All of that is far from central parts of Balkan I've
described and it
> doesn't look connected.
>
>         Unfortunately, I don't think that there are any such customs
preserved
> in these rarely inhabited mountains. I'll try to find out if there
is any tale
> about placenames, but I don't believe there are, although I would
surely like
> to know why one mountain top has name "Goglin".

Hi,

in general, the Goths left very little traces in placenames wherever
they stayed; even in areas that they inhabited for a longer period of
time like Spain or Italy. Also, there are no Gothic/Germanic
placenames to speak of in the Crimean, although the Crimean Goths
lived there for several centuries. To expect finding Gothic placenames
in some remote areas in Makedonia or so seem unfounded to me. Goths
stayed on the Balkan only for a short period of time as an
identifiable ethnic/tribal group.

>         Basic question is could disappearance of Goths and
>appearance of Slavs
> in that part of Balkan and Europe be connected.

I think there is a significant gap of time between the disappearance
of the Goths from the Balkan and the appearance of Slavs in that area.

cheers,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/d49MCB/3WDDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM