[gothic-l] Re: Balkan

Håkan hakan36 at SPRAY.SE
Fri Oct 26 23:23:51 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Nenad Mitovski" <mitovski at e...> wrote:

Hi Nenad!
As far as I remember there was talk about a thousand people or more
that left the gothic area around Adrianopolis. I just recall that
those goths, tired of the general starvation and hunger before A.D.
378, went up and off into the balkan mountains. So maybe there
are "lost goths", just like jewish tradition is talking about
the "lost tribes of Israel." If I find the source, I will send it to
you. See ya!

Greetings from

Håkan Liljeberg

         I became attracted to Gothic culture while I was trying to
find out
> origin of some geographic names in mountains of central Balkan
peninsula...
> Although there were numerous matches for "Gabar" (name of one
village), that
> word and similar words in Gothic language had to draw my attention
since name
> of that somehow hidden mountain is "German" (it is placed in north-
east of
> Macedonia among other larger mountains). It seems like name of that
village
> could have been "Gabaur" or something close to that. Name of that
mountain most
> likely was some old non-Germanic description of some Germanic
people living
> there. They could have been Saxon miners, but there are no mines.
Maybe some
> crusaders? Why would they get off of all roads and climb mountains?
>         Is it possible that some names survived since Gothic times?
>
>         Looking through Gothic dictionaries, I've found some very
interesting
> interactions with Southern-Slavic languages known to me and it
could be an
> interesting subject.
>         What is the connection between Gothic word "slawan" with
the name of
> Slavs?
>         Did Goths and Slavs mix?
>
>         Are there any descriptions of details in physical
appearance of Goths
> and comparison with other tribes of their times?
>
>         Is there some list of Gothic personal names?
>
>         I am still trying to find origin of one (personal/family)
name common