[gothic-l] Re: More on the Gothic-Slavic link

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Oct 31 09:00:47 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Sigmund" <sigmund at a...> wrote:
> Francisc, do you have anything comments on the plethora of related
or associated names like
Sclavinia/Slavonia/Vandals/Wends/Venethi/Vinniles etc?

> Sigmund

Hello, Sigmund,

I'm not a professional in such matters, so I will tell you what I have
read and seems to be accepted by many.

Wends/Venethi: in the early antiquity, the eastern neighbors of the
Germanic peoples were represented by the old Indo-European (probably
Illyrian) tribe of the Veneti (the name is also connected with the
name of the region Venetia, now Venezia in NE Italy, and the name of
the city of Venice). When the Veneti were later replaced/assimilated
by the Slavs, the old Germans transferred the name Venethi/Venedi to
them. Initially, it was a generic term for the Slavs (Iordanes:
Venethi, OHG: winid-, MHG: winde). Later the term was confined to the
direct Slavic neighbors of the Germans: the Lusacian Sorabs, called in
German "Wenden". The term was borrowed also by non-Germanic languages
and denominates Slavic neighbors:
Finnish: Venäjä "Russia", venäläis "Russian"
Hungarian: vend "Slovenian of Hungary"

Vandal: several ethymologies proposed, discussed also on this list.
None looks to me convincing.

Vinnili: don't know.
It seems that the terms "Vandali" and "Vinnili" are not connected to
"Veneti", nor to each other.

Regarding Sclavinia/Slavonia, they are derived from the own
degnitation of the old Slavs: Slovene. One possible etymology is that
quoted in my previous mail (slovo "word"), but there are also other
hypotheses. From the time when the Avars dominated the Slavs and used
them as slaves, dates also the Latin term sclavus "slave".
Why an old Germanic territory is named "Sclavinia", I can not imagine,
only speculations...

I hope that someone more informed than me could help you better.

Francisc

Internal Cell Phone Antenna
Boosts reception on all cellular phones.
Just $19.99 at Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/L11sED/PkNDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM