[gothic-l] Gentile as coterminous with Kuni

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 2 06:40:29 UTC 2001

Hails allaim!

Lets see how applicable I can make this line of thought here:

Originally, gentile literal meaning is of the same clan, ethnic
group, or nation. Gentile is seemingly derived from Gens.

What term does Wulfilas use?
Mark 16.32
þiudos sokjand
gentiles seek

John 7.35
þaruh qeþun þai Iudaieis du sis misso: hwadre sa skuli gaggan,
þei weis ni bigitaima ina?
nibai in distahein þiudo skuli gaggan,
jah laisjan þiudos?

Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go,
that we shall not find him?
will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles,
and teach the Gentiles?

I might argue kuni would be a more appropriate appelation.
Gothic kuni meaning ethnic group, generation, tribe.

The point is> does gentile for Wulfilas mean ethnic group? I have
read that Jesus did not intend his Gospel for foreigners but rather
Hebrews. Later with Paul, it was spread to the "gentile" world. If
that was the case, then the use of Gentile may mean foreigners, i.e.
non-Hebrew rather then non-Judiac?

At any rate>

"Undoubtedly the kuni formed the most important political unit, but
it was at the same time also a community of descent, unlike the
Gutthiuda to which it was subordinated. The etymological relationship
between kuni and gens was thus semantically preserved. A Goth
belonged to the kuni as an inkunja." Wolfram, HoG, p. 96

A note: Kuni is Germanic while "race" (i.e. ethnic group, generation,
tribe) is derive from latin ratio> E French > French race

Tribe is derived from Latin tribus> Old Breton treb

>From a purely germanic standpoint, the only word to discribe a ethnic
group, tribe, generation, descent, is kuni.

I thought it interesting though the etymology of gentile and Wulfilas
translation of the word into þuidos rather then kuni, which I think
he uses to translate generation, o this generation.

St. Luke 3:7
qaþ þan du þaim atgaggandeim manageim daupjan fram sis:
kuni nadre,
hwas gataiknida izwis þliuhan faura þamma anawairþin hatiza?

Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him,
O generation of vipers,
who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Any thoughts why Wulfilas used Þuidos rather then kuni?

Anþanareiks

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM