[gothic-l] Re: Gentile as coterminous with Kuni

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 2 06:51:08 UTC 2001

> Originally, gentile literal meaning is of the same clan, ethnic
> group, or nation. Gentile is seemingly derived from Gens.
> The point is> does gentile for Wulfilas mean ethnic group? I have
> read that Jesus did not intend his Gospel for foreigners but rather
> Hebrews. Later with Paul, it was spread to the "gentile" world. If
> that was the case, then the use of Gentile may mean foreigners,
i.e. non-Hebrew rather then non-Judiac?

In Genesis, the descndants of Noah's son Japheth were called
gentiles. Later,the origin of Gentile as foreigner I read was in the
era of Abraham. During this time gentile came to mean those nations
and peoples who had not descended from Abraham.
So you see a shift from gentile as indigenous descent to foreigners.
If this is correct, then kuni as descent, indigenous national group
would be the appropriate term rather then þuidos as people.

Anþanareiks

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM