[gothic-l] Quadi

Frans Kwaad kwaad.frans at WORLDMAIL.NL
Wed Sep 5 09:41:47 UTC 2001

Hello,

This is my first message to the Gothic list. My name is Frans Kwaad. I am a
Dutchman. My profession is physical geography.
The question that I would like to ask, has to do with my last name. The
founder of the Dutch family Kwaad was Frans Quade. He came to the
Netherlands from Köln (Cologne), Germany. That was around 1730. The word
'kwaad' is a common word in present-day Dutch. It was written as 'quad' or
'quat' until the 18th century. The pronounciation of  'kwaad' and 'quad' is
the same in Dutch. The meaning of the Dutch word 'kwaad' is 'bad' or
'angry'. If I am well informed, 'quade' has also been a German word in
former centuries, with the same meaning as in Dutch. 'Quade' is not a word
of present-day German anymore.
I have noticed, that there are many people named 'Quade' in the world,
especially in Germany and the USA. A wide-spread belief among today's
'Quade's' is, that their last name somehow derives from the tribe of the
Quadi that lived in Central-Europe in the first centuries AD.
Another hypothesis about the origin and first use of the surname 'Quade', of
course, is, that it started as a nickname or byname, meaning 'böse, slecht'.
'Otto der Quade' is an example of that. Otto "Der Quade", was Duke of
Braunschweig-Goettingen and was born about 1340 in
Goettingen, Germany. He died on 13th Dec.1394 in Hardegsen, Germany and was
buried in Wiebrechtshausen. Due to his belligerent nature and his cruel
regime he soon got the nickname "der Quade" (Gerd Hillebrecht gave me this
information).

I have several questions:
(a) has the word 'quade' ever been a German word, and, if so, in what
meaning, and when did it become obsolete?
(b) what is the etymology of the word 'quade'?
(c) was the name 'Quadi' (for the Quadi tribe) 'invented' by the Romans or
did the Quadi themselves use that name?
(d) does the name 'Quadi' have a meaning?

What I know about the origin of the name Quade so far, I have written down
in a website:
http://home.tiscali.nl/~wr2777/Quade-Kwaad.htm

Best regards,

Frans Kwaad