[gothic-l] The New Testiment was not written in Hebrew

Franz Weissmann verstand2001 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 5 13:21:44 UTC 2001

--- Anþanareiks <anthanaric at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > the original Hebrew (Old Testament, [goyim]) or
> Greek (New
> Testament).
> > "the nations" is an obvious expression for a
> people to use to mean
> > "all the people of nations except us".
>

> The quote was in the New Testiment it  would not
> have been originally
> writen in Hebrew but Greek I think, Jesus spoke
> Aramanic not Hebrew.
> The point is the translation from Greek to Gothic,
> Gentile to Thuidos
> or Kuni.
>

> Anthanarik
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ordlag_Godvegr
>

> HI,

Yes, today the scholars -except the "Jews for Jesus",
that are not probably scholars- accept doubtless the
New Testament was originally written in Greek Koiné,
i.e. the common, not Classic, Greek spoken in the
Mediterranean. But, of course, the background is
semitic.
"Goi" means normally, without writehere the nuances
and semantics of the word; "not belonging to the
People of Israel", also in Modern Hebrew and without
any pejorative sense.

The Gothic Bible Translations is indeed a very
interesting subject and I am enjoying, as always, the
List

Regards,

Francis

weismann at fibertel.com.ar

> Originally, gentile literal meaning is of the same
> clan, ethnic
> group, or nation. Gentile is seemingly derived from
> Gens.
>
> What term does Wulfilas use?
> Mark 16.32
> þiudos sokjand
> gentiles seek
>
> I might argue kuni would be a more appropriate
> appelation.
> Gothic kuni meaning ethnic group, generation, tribe.
>

> The point is> does gentile for Wulfilas mean ethnic
> group? I have
> read that Jesus did not intend his Gospel for
> foreigners but rather
> Hebrews. Later with Paul, it was spread to the
> "gentile" world. If
> that was the case, then the use of Gentile may mean
> foreigners, i.e.
> non-Hebrew rather then non-Judiac?
>
> At any rate>
>
> "Undoubtedly the kuni formed the most important
> political unit, but
> it was at the same time also a community of descent,
> unlike the
> Gutthiuda to which it was subordinated. The
> etymological relationship
> between kuni and gens was thus semantically
> preserved. A Goth
> belonged to the kuni as an inkunja." Wolfram, HoG,
> p. 96
>
> A note: Kuni is Germanic while "race" (i.e. ethnic
> group, generation,
> tribe) is derive from latin ratio> E French > French
> race
>
> Tribe is derived from Latin tribus> Old Breton treb
>
> From a purely germanic standpoint, the only word to
> discribe a ethnic
> group, tribe, generation, descent, is kuni.
>
> I thought it interesting though the etymology of
> gentile and Wulfilas
> translation of the word into þuidos rather then
> kuni, which I think
> he uses to translate generation, o this generation.
>
> St. Luke 3:7
> qaþ þan du þaim atgaggandeim manageim daupjan fram
> sis:
> kuni nadre,
> hwas gataiknida izwis þliuhan faura þamma anawairþin
> hatiza?
>
> Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be
> baptized of him,
> O generation of vipers,
> who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

http://im.yahoo.com

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!