[gothic-l] Gothic and Vandalic

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Fri Sep 7 21:18:49 UTC 2001

On Friday, September 07, 2001 10:45 PM, Francisc Czobor [SMTP:czobor at cantacuzino.ro] wrote:

> Indeed, the Vandalic language seems to have been very closely related
> to Gothic. The North-African Vandals were Arian and used the Bible of
> Wulfila. The few North-African Vandalic texts show a great similarity
> to Gothic, e.g. froja armes "domine miserere" (in Wulfilan Gothic:
> frauja armeis).

Interesting - where is this phrase found?  And what other Vandalic
texts are there from North Africa?  The only piece of Vandalic I
knew of was that 'let us eat and drink' phrase from a Roman poem
from Africa.
Thanks in advance,

Tim O'Neill

PS For non-Gothic discussions of other Germanic peoples you can join
Germanic-L here:
I was intrigued by the original posting which claimed Iceland was
settled by Herulians - which sounds like an extremely *unlikely*
theory to me, I must say - and I think it would be worth examining
on G-l.  Cheers.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!