[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and Vandalic

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Sep 10 07:15:44 UTC 2001

Hi Tim,

[SMTP:czobor at c...] wrote:

> > Indeed, the Vandalic language seems to have been very closely
related
> > to Gothic. The North-African Vandals were Arian and used the Bible
of
> > Wulfila. The few North-African Vandalic texts show a great
similarity
> > to Gothic, e.g. froja armes "domine miserere" (in Wulfilan Gothic:
> > frauja armeis).
>
> Interesting - where is this phrase found?  And what other Vandalic
> texts are there from North Africa?  The only piece of Vandalic I
> knew of was that 'let us eat and drink' phrase from a Roman poem
> from Africa.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim O'Neill

Indeed, the other Vandalic text that I know is that phrase. My source
is the message no. 1389 to Gothic-L posted by Reikahardus on December
18, 1999. I quote it:

"Heils. Reikahardus again (maybe this form is better than
Reikshardus).
In my message no 1326 I wrote: we have only one or two attested
Vandalic sentences coming from North Africa.
They should be known to all the East Germanic linguists. I met them in
J. Strzelczyk's "Wandalowie i ich afrykanskie panstwo" (in Polish).
The first sentence can be treated as Vandalic without doubt - in
Florentinus' poem we read: _Frója armés!_ translated in Latin as
'Domine miserere' - it was called from the Arian altars in North
Africa.
The second sentence is usualy treated as Gothic text (and should find
interest in the list), but can be Vandalic as well. It comes from a
North African poem entitled "De conviviis barbaris". We read there:
_Inter eils goticum skapjamatzjajadrincan_ / Non audet quisquam dignos
edicere versus_. The Gothic (or Vandalic) sentence is here: _Eils!
Scapjam matzja(n) ja drincan_. In pure Gothic it could be: _Heils!
Scapjam matjan jah drigkan_."
[my comment: in fact in Wulfilan Gothic this phrase would be: "Hails!
Skapjam matjan jah drigkan"].

> PS For non-Gothic discussions of other Germanic peoples you can join
> Germanic-L here:
> I was intrigued by the original posting which claimed Iceland was
> settled by Herulians - which sounds like an extremely *unlikely*
> theory to me, I must say - and I think it would be worth examining
> on G-l.  Cheers.

This theory sounds unlikely to me too.

Francisc

FREE COLLEGE MONEY