[gothic-l] Vaklan et c.

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sun Sep 30 23:24:49 UTC 2001

Nikolai wrote:
"The word Vaklan (or Voklun, Vaklin, Voklen, or any spelling that
sounds like Vahk-lunn)   ...has anyone ever seen this word in any
language known to those of this list?
If so... what does it mean?
I cannot give a reference to what it might mean or where it can be
found.
I heard it in a very realistic dream I had last night... and in the
context of what took place in the dream...I am looking at Euro
languages, modern and archaic."

You wrote from the beginning:
"Kõhna vaska om ikki vaklan"

Vaklan reminds of Danish 'vakle' Sw. 'vackla' from Gm. 'wackeln' meaning
being close to fall down, stand  unsteady.
Vaska reminds of Sw. 'vaska', ON 'waskon', OHG   and Ags '*waskan',
Germ. 'washen´meaning to wash.
Ikki reminds  of ON ikke from *ekki, *etki meaning a negation, 'not,
no'.
Kõhna similarly reminds of Sw. 'kunna', Da. 'kunne', Goth.,OSx and OHG
'kunnan', Germ. 'können', Ags 'cunnan' = can, to be able to. In dialect
the sound you wrote is still present.

In short it could be a Germanic language and the meaning COULD be, if
all above is true, which is indeed very dubious, as follows:

"I will clean it up(or something similar) (or wash myself) if I do not
fall down ( e.g. because I am exhausted)."

Well, this may be regarded more as a play with words than a serious
interpretation but dream-language is a hard nut to crack

Kindly and not so seriously
Ingemar

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search