[gothic-l] Re: Proto-Germanic names of mythological figures

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sun Sep 30 23:24:35 UTC 2001

> Message: 1
>    Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:35:55 -0000
>    From: MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: Proto-Germanic names of mythological figures

> Odin / Woden was [Wo:danaz] and means "the mad or furious one"; he
> was originally a war-god.
>
> Thir's hammer Mjollnir seems to mean "the miller or grinder", a
> suiteble personal name for a heavy hammer used as a weapon, but not
> until the Roman Latim word [molina] got into Germanic; but the word
> also looks like Slavonic words, e.g. Russian [molniya] = "lightning".

 The word 'Mjöl', meal, comes out of OGn '*melva'from the root 'mel', to
crush, to grind. The same goes for  Celtic and Slavonic. Accordingly it
does not come from Latin. I  bet positively the right background to
Þorr's hammer Mjollnir is to find in the same stem as in the Russian
[molniya] = "lightning". It was in this way he brought forth lightning.

Kindly
Ingemar
'

FREE COLLEGE MONEY