[gothic-l] Re: Proto-Germanic names of mythological figures

MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Sat Sep 29 21:35:55 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., raolin1 at h... wrote:
> Can anyone help me out?  I'm looking for a source that has listed
> what the proto-Germanic names could/should be for mythological
> characters such as Thor (I believe that's *thunaraz?), Odin and
> others.

Odin / Woden was [Wo:danaz] and means "the mad or furious one"; he
was originally a war-god.

Thir's hammer Mjollnir seems to mean "the miller or grinder", a
suiteble personal name for a heavy hammer used as a weapon, but not
until the Roman Latim word [molina] got into Germanic; but the word
also looks like Slavonic words, e.g. Russian [molniya] = "lightning".

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ujOgTC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM