[gothic-l] Gothic Rule and the Roman Senatorial Class

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Apr 9 10:05:07 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk,
as in most cases I find your message extremely useful and of course support your
opinion about the relation ship between the Senate and the Ostrogothic kings up to
Theodahad. But I differ in one little point: the Ostrogothic kings were not "foreign
rulers". Theoderic was born in the Empire, he had been consul and was therefore both
a Roman citizen and a member of the East Roman Senate and he was the son-of-
arms of the emperor Zenon. Up to Theodahad all his successors were confirmed by
the emperor as rightful rulers of Italy and even Witigis had to abdicate formally to end
the Ostrogothic rule legally. Only Hildebad, Eraric, Totila and Teja were never
acknowledged by the East and of these kings only Totila got temporarily the support of
a Roman Senate.
Kind regards
                   Andreas
    Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich