[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Rule and the Roman Senatorial Class

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 9 11:08:42 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
> as in most cases I find your message extremely useful and of course
support your
> opinion about the relation ship between the Senate and the
Ostrogothic kings up to
> Theodahad. But I differ in one little point: the Ostrogothic kings
were not "foreign
> rulers". Theoderic was born in the Empire, he had been consul and
was therefore both
> a Roman citizen and a member of the East Roman Senate and he was
the son-of-
> arms of the emperor Zenon.

Hello Andreas,

I agree the term 'foreign' was not well chosen. I suppose I wanted to
refere to some form of loosely defined ethnic difference not so much
of the Gothic king himself, but of his Gothic following. I am aware
that many Roman Emperors were 'non-Italians', (e.g. Philippus Arabs
(from Arabia), Maximinus Thrax (from Trakia) or the Franks Silvanus
and probably Magnentius) and many were not even members of the
senatorial elites. As such a Roman senator Flavius Theodericus would
probably have fitted in easily into the ranks of West Roman rulers.

I suppose the resurgence of some senatorial privileges (like the
minting of bronze coinage, which is not only profitable but also of
high propagandistic value because of its wide circulation) had to do
first and foremost with the breakdown of central government at the
advent of Odoacer and later Theoderic. In addition, it might have
been useful in placating the Roman elites and ensuring their support.

> Up to Theodahad all his successors were confirmed by
> the emperor as rightful rulers of Italy and even Witigis had to
abdicate formally to end
> the Ostrogothic rule legally.

This is also well documented by Jordanes who regarded Witigis as the
last legitimate Ostrogothic ruler in Italy. Interestingly, the
propagandistic value of coins is well displayed in the reign of
Witigis, who 'restored' the monogramm of Theoderic to the most common
denomination the quarter-siliqua, thus professing some form of
continuity within the Amal-dynasty to which he only belonged by
marriage.

> Only Hildebad, Eraric, Totila and Teja were never
> acknowledged by the East and of these kings only Totila got
temporarily the support of
> a Roman Senate.

That is interesting, because it might (at least partly) explain the
existence of bronze coins in the name of Baduela/Totila, while no
bronze coins are known of Teja and no coins at all were minted by
Hildebad and Eraric. While the Senatus Consulto (SC) formular was
abandoned in the reign of Totila, the actual minting may still have
been under the authority and/or organisation of the senate of Rome
and the municipal authorities of Ticinium/Pavia. In fact, Totila's
bronze coinage comprises the full set of denomiations (Dekanummia,
Pentanumia, 2.5-Nummus and Nummus). They show the frontal bust of
Totila with the inscription (DN BADUELA REX) with the reverse
inscription repeating in four lines DN BADUELA REX in a wreath. The
pieces minted in Rome show the full figure of Totila dressed as Roman
officer (!) with shield and lance and a value mark X. His 2.5-nummi
show a walking lion. A picture not seen on Roman coins since the time
of Caracalla some 300 years earlier. The reason for its re-emergence
remains an open question.

Interestingly, Totila (who is always called Baduela/Baduila on his
coins) abandoned the use of Justinian's name on gold coins. Instead,
he minted tremisses in the name of the long dead Anastasius. The
latter act must have been an insult to Justinian, because it implied
that he was not the legitimate emperor. On the other hand, Totila
refrained from mining gold in his own name as the Frankish king
Theodebert was doing at about the same time. Hence, while rejecting
the authority of Justinian, Totila may have been careful not to
openly infringe on this imperial prerogative in view of animosities
of the Roman senate.

cheers,

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.