[gothic-l] Re: Simleul Silvaniei hoard

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 23 09:17:42 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "fericzobor" <fericzobor at y...> wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
>
> The hoard of Simleul Silvaniei (in Hungarian: Szilagysomlyo), that
is
> housed now at the Kunsthistorisches Museum of Vienna, is assigned
> rather to the Gepids than to the Goths. It is known also as
> the "hoard of the king of the Gepids" (the king being probably
> Ardaric).
>
> Francisc

Dear Francisc,

thanks for the information. The web-site of the Kunsthistorisches
Museum of Vienna only spoke of East Germanic influence and that the
hoard demonstrated the relationship between Rome and East Germanic
people. Since the Goths seemed to have had closer contacts with Rome
I assumed the treasures to be associated with them rather than the
Gepids. Also, I was not aware that the hoard is dated to the mid/late-
5th century. Because of the Valens medaillons I thought it was
somewhat earlier and that it was hidden in the earth because of the
Hunnic onslaught in the early 5th century.

cheers,
Dirk

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Here is a picture of one of the Valens gold medallions from the
> > Simleul Silvaniei hoard. The piece is a 'barbaric' copy of an
> > official Roman medaillion. It was likely made by Goths and would
> > testified to extremely fine workmanship.
> >
> > http://www.ancient-coin-forum.com/Alex/val.jpg
> >
> > These medallions were given to barbaric chieftains in return for
> > loyalty.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk

Buy Stock for $4