[gothic-l] Re: Simleul Silvaniei hoard

fericzobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 23 09:40:22 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk,

when I was in Budapest in 1999, the hoard of Simleul Silvaniei,
brought from Vienna, was exhibited at the National Museum of Budapest
under the name "the treasure of the King of Gepids". I have read
elsewhere that it is assigned to the Gepidic king Ardaric. In fact,
the East Germanic findings of Transylvania (where also Simleul
Silvaniei is located) are predominantly Gepidic, and in less amount
Visigothic. Ostrogothic findings are located mainly outside
Transilvania, that is in eastern and southern Romania, but there are
also Visigothic (for instance Pietroasa).
The hoard that was hidden because of the Hunnic onslaught in the
early 5th century is considered to be that of Pietroasa, that is
currently attributed to the Visigothic leader Athanaric.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> Dear Francisc,
>
> thanks for the information. The web-site of the Kunsthistorisches
> Museum of Vienna only spoke of East Germanic influence and that the
> hoard demonstrated the relationship between Rome and East Germanic
> people. Since the Goths seemed to have had closer contacts with
Rome
> I assumed the treasures to be associated with them rather than the
> Gepids. Also, I was not aware that the hoard is dated to the
mid/late-
> 5th century. Because of the Valens medaillons I thought it was
> somewhat earlier and that it was hidden in the earth because of the
> Hunnic onslaught in the early 5th century.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.