[gothic-l] Re: Simleul Silvaniei hoard

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 23 10:04:15 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "fericzobor" <fericzobor at y...> wrote:
> Dear Dirk,
>
> when I was in Budapest in 1999, the hoard of Simleul Silvaniei,
> brought from Vienna, was exhibited at the National Museum of
Budapest
> under the name "the treasure of the King of Gepids". I have read
> elsewhere that it is assigned to the Gepidic king Ardaric. In fact,
> the East Germanic findings of Transylvania (where also Simleul
> Silvaniei is located) are predominantly Gepidic, and in less amount
> Visigothic. Ostrogothic findings are located mainly outside
> Transilvania, that is in eastern and southern Romania, but there
are
> also Visigothic (for instance Pietroasa).
> The hoard that was hidden because of the Hunnic onslaught in the
> early 5th century is considered to be that of Pietroasa, that is
> currently attributed to the Visigothic leader Athanaric.
>
> Francisc

Dear Francisc,

thanks for the information, I didn't know that. Did the authors of
the exhibition indicate whether the 'imitative' medallions were
actually made by the Gepids. Is there also a theory why the hoard was
buried? Usually, some important reason should have caused the owner
(Ardaric) to bury the gold and never reclaim it.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM