[gothic-l] Goths and Christianity

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 23 14:31:54 UTC 2002

I think it should be about right to say that the Ostrogoths converted
to Arian Christianity somtime during the early part of the 5th
century. The Goths had been exposed to Christianity sicne the mid-3rd
century when Christian prisoners reportedly spread Christianity among
the Goths. Conversion around this time is also indicated by the Codis
Gothani, which states that the Gepids became Arian Christians in the
middle of the 5th century because of Gothic influence. Also, I think
Theoderic is reported to have been born to Christian parents.

However, as far as I know there are no church buildings of that
period in the Gothic/Gepidic settlement territories. In fact, there
are hardly any Gothic or Gepidic settlements known in that timeframe
(mid-5th century). I wonder why that is. Could this be simply the
result of insufficient research? or is that the result of a nomadic
or semi-nomadic life-style. Would the early Christian Goths perhaps
worshiped in Roman churches or built their own wooden churches?
Anyone up for an answer?

thanks

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.