[gothic-l] Ship Traffic

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Aug 1 17:00:15 UTC 2002

Recently I had the pleasure of reading an essay in
_Experiment and Design_, Oxford 1999 on the
attempts in Roskilde, Denmark, to reconstruct
in full scale the Early Iron Age Hjortspring ship,
from 350 - 300 BC. The group building the replica is
in close contact with Roskilde.

When completed the replicait could, one can suppose, be of
interest in checking possible traffic across the Baltic Sea
and the North Sea say 500 - 0 BC. Such experiments is of great interest,
especially in relation to Gothic migration, and I hope
to bring more info. One contribution is that of
K. Valbjoern, "The Hjortspring boat under reconstruction,
Maritime Archaeology Newsletter from Roskilde, Denmark,
6, pp. 17-18.

Gothically

Bertil