[gothic-l] Re: Suartuas - the ON Connection

einarbirg einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 6 13:19:36 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Troels,
>
> Agree that the "a" is a problem. Have seen in some
> German sources the name Suartuas spelled "Swartwa"
> (note svart in modern Swedish).
> Surtr means "the black one" and maybe the concept of Surtr
> as enemy of the gods originate in Iceland. Maybe Einar
> might have a view on that? Surtr was the guard of
> Muspell. Have found only a few article directly connected
> to Surtr ( B.S Phillpots, 'Surt' (ANF 21) 1905 and A. Holtsmark,
> 'Surtr' (KLNM 17) 1972.
>
> Maybe these articles contain some information of value
> in your search.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

> ######## Hi Bertil.
Sorry for a late answer. I was staying in a summerhouse. No computers.
I cannot help you here!. Surtur is related to ´sorta,svartur,syrta´.
All this names have to do with black or dark colors.
Surtr was a rather unfine name. Mainly used for a Fire Giant. But
sometimes used in the Book of Settlement.

Bless, Einar ###########

> > When I asked it was not my intention to repeat the discussion
from
> > last November - and what followed.
> >
> > The names below were discussed, and there was no doubt, that
Suart
> > could mean Black.
> > The problem regarding Suartuas is the second "a".

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/09Lw8C/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM