[gothic-l] Re: Wolfs/dogs

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Mon Aug 5 22:12:11 UTC 2002

gothic-l at yahoogroups.com wrote:

 >    From: "hrafnsnest" <mimir at smithsys.net>
 > Subject: Wolf/Dog Motifs
 >
 > Hail All!
 >
 >    I just finished _The One Eyed God - Odinn and the Indo-Germanic
 > Mannerbund_, by Kris Kershaw, Journal Of Indo-European Studies,
 > Washington D.C., 2000.  A fantastic read, covering the Eurasian
 > Steppes and the wolf/dog motifs of the various tribes who dwelt their.
 > However, there was not very much info. on the Goths or other related
 > EGmc tribes who were in close cultural contact with the various Indo-
 > Iranian tribes.  Are there any wolf / dog motifs among these EGmc's
 > besides the few names of Gothic kings?
 >
 > Wassail!
 > Jeff

Hi Jeff,

About the Goths specificially I can not say something straight forward,
but the dog/wolf motiv is very common in Scandinavia and the  areas
around the South coast of the Baltic where also the Goths lived. The
Torsö plates e.g. show warriors in wolfguise, you have the dogs/wolves
of Óðinn often reproduced in later German carnevals. The Langobards had
the dog as their special totem. I suggest you read Otto Höflers
"Geheimbünde der Germanen", Moritz Diesterweg Verlag, Frankfurt a/M
1934, where you can find a lot of these things. It also contains a
special supplement about werewolfs in Balticum and a lot of information
about Scandinavian and German werewolfs and the odinistic warrior cults.

Best
Ingemar

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?