[gothic-l] Re: Wolfs/dogs

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Aug 6 07:48:46 UTC 2002

Here is a link to a site that provides a picture of the sword
scabbard of Gutenstein (South Germany/Alamannic areas), which shows a
mythicial creature called a 'wolf-skin warrior' holding a ring sword.
Since ring swords were a symbol of Germanic warrior elites, the wolf
will likely have played a special role in their identity.

http://www.archaeologie-online.de/magazin/thema/2000/03/d2.php3

As for the Goths, I am not aware of any depiction of wolfs or dogs on
Gothic artefacts. It was certainly not present in the original
Wielbark culture in modern northern Poland from which the Goths
emerged, since the so called 'animal style' was developed at a much
later stage. The most important animal symbol in the Gothic culture
seemed to have been the eagle, which they adopted from the Sarmatian
steppe tribes.

cheers,
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

> gothic-l at y... wrote:
>
>  >
>  >    From: "hrafnsnest" <mimir at s...>
>  > Subject: Wolf/Dog Motifs
>  >
>  > Hail All!
>  >
>  >    I just finished _The One Eyed God - Odinn and the Indo-
Germanic
>  > Mannerbund_, by Kris Kershaw, Journal Of Indo-European Studies,
>  > Washington D.C., 2000.  A fantastic read, covering the Eurasian
>  > Steppes and the wolf/dog motifs of the various tribes who dwelt
their.
>  > However, there was not very much info. on the Goths or other
related
>  > EGmc tribes who were in close cultural contact with the various
Indo-
>  > Iranian tribes.  Are there any wolf / dog motifs among these
EGmc's
>  > besides the few names of Gothic kings?
>  >
>  > Wassail!
>  > Jeff
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> About the Goths specificially I can not say something straight
forward,
> but the dog/wolf motiv is very common in Scandinavia and the  areas
> around the South coast of the Baltic where also the Goths lived. The
> Torsö plates e.g. show warriors in wolfguise, you have the
dogs/wolves
> of Óðinn often reproduced in later German carnevals. The Langobards
had
> the dog as their special totem. I suggest you read Otto Höflers
> "Geheimbünde der Germanen", Moritz Diesterweg Verlag, Frankfurt a/M
> 1934, where you can find a lot of these things. It also contains a
> special supplement about werewolfs in Balticum and a lot of
information
> about Scandinavian and German werewolfs and the odinistic warrior
cults.

> Best
> Ingemar

Free $5 Love Reading