[gothic-l] Re: Wolfs/dogs

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Aug 6 12:20:00 UTC 2002

I have to correct myself. The wolf is, of course, frequently depicted
on Ostrogothic copper coins (20-nummi). This is, however, the symbol
of Rome, i.e. the she-wolf with Romulus and Remus. The lion is
depicted on copper-fractions of Totila.

cheers,
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> Here is a link to a site that provides a picture of the sword
> scabbard of Gutenstein (South Germany/Alamannic areas), which shows
> mythicial creature called a 'wolf-skin warrior' holding a ring
sword.
> Since ring swords were a symbol of Germanic warrior elites, the
wolf
> will likely have played a special role in their identity.
>
> http://www.archaeologie-online.de/magazin/thema/2000/03/d2.php3
>
> As for the Goths, I am not aware of any depiction of wolfs or dogs
on
> Gothic artefacts. It was certainly not present in the original
> Wielbark culture in modern northern Poland from which the Goths
> emerged, since the so called 'animal style' was developed at a much
> later stage. The most important animal symbol in the Gothic culture
> seemed to have been the eagle, which they adopted from the
Sarmatian
> steppe tribes.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk

> --- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...>
wrote:

> > gothic-l at y... wrote:
> >
> >  >
> >  >    From: "hrafnsnest" <mimir at s...>
> >  > Subject: Wolf/Dog Motifs
> >  >
> >  > Hail All!
> >  >
> >  >    I just finished _The One Eyed God - Odinn and the Indo-
> Germanic
> >  > Mannerbund_, by Kris Kershaw, Journal Of Indo-European Studies,
> >  > Washington D.C., 2000.  A fantastic read, covering the Eurasian
> >  > Steppes and the wolf/dog motifs of the various tribes who
dwelt
> their.
> >  > However, there was not very much info. on the Goths or other
> related
> >  > EGmc tribes who were in close cultural contact with the
various
> Indo-
> >  > Iranian tribes.  Are there any wolf / dog motifs among these
> EGmc's
> >  > besides the few names of Gothic kings?
> >  >
> >  > Wassail!
> >  > Jeff
> >
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > About the Goths specificially I can not say something straight
> forward,
> > but the dog/wolf motiv is very common in Scandinavia and the
areas
> > around the South coast of the Baltic where also the Goths lived.
The
> > Torsö plates e.g. show warriors in wolfguise, you have the
> dogs/wolves
> > of Óðinn often reproduced in later German carnevals. The
Langobards
> had
> > the dog as their special totem. I suggest you read Otto Höflers
> > "Geheimbünde der Germanen", Moritz Diesterweg Verlag, Frankfurt
a/M
> > 1934, where you can find a lot of these things. It also contains a
> > special supplement about werewolfs in Balticum and a lot of
> information
> > about Scandinavian and German werewolfs and the odinistic warrior
> cults.
> >
> > Best
> > Ingemar

Will You Find True Love?