[gothic-l] IE Wolf-god

hrafnsnest mimir at SMITHSYS.NET
Tue Aug 6 16:37:37 UTC 2002

Hail All!

   Thank you gentleman, for your postings on the subject.  What I am
pursuing is the Path of the IE Wolf-god.  Mr. Kershaw, who references
the material mentioned previously, purposes a "wolf-god", chief deity
of the "young warrior bands", whose genesis began with the Indo-
Europeans, and whose function was cattle-raiding.  Apparently, as
each "branch" of the IE tribes moved out into what would be their
eventual "settlement" zone, these "Mannerbund" modified and "renamed"
their Wolf-god.  In the Gmc. case, this would be Wodhanaz > Wotan >
Odhinn > Godan > and possibly Gaut.
   Perhaps, in the case of the Goths, their "Mannerbund" remains
hidden from our records, or the records don't go back far enough (to
Scandia), or they adopted the Eagle from the Sarmatians.
   In any case, I'm sure the Wolf-god was present among the Goths, as
he seems to have been in IE cultures from India to Scandinavia, he
has just not revealed himself yet.  Perhaps the answer lies in Gothic
raiding / war parties.
Best,
Jeff

Free $5 Love Reading