[gothic-l] IE Wolf-god

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Aug 6 17:51:15 UTC 2002

Jeff,

Although this is IE (and then also Gothic related) I am leaning
towards wolf-king as an IE origin. Lykos or 'wolf' was a king-name
in ancient Thebes. Sigmund and Sinfjotli roam and kill as
wolf-men and lurk in an underground den. In the Saga
of Egil, the wolf not only seems to be a family totem
(the family patriarch is Evening Wolf, Egil is 'wolf-gray').
This is also affiliated with Odin/Gaut, to whose grim service
at least some of Egil's family was devoted. Odin/Gaut's wolfs
are fed with those slain by the victorious fighter, but Odin is
also named 'wolf killer'. He finally claims the warrior, who also
is the wolf, and who will be killed in his turn.

The largest Gothic and Erulic raids were during the 3rd century
world crisis. Probably the image of the wolf was in the
mind of many a raider.

Indoeuropeanly and Gothically

Bertil

>    Thank you gentleman, for your postings on the subject.  What I am
> pursuing is the Path of the IE Wolf-god.  Mr. Kershaw, who references
> the material mentioned previously, purposes a "wolf-god", chief deity
> of the "young warrior bands", whose genesis began with the Indo-
> Europeans, and whose function was cattle-raiding.  Apparently, as
> each "branch" of the IE tribes moved out into what would be their
> eventual "settlement" zone, these "Mannerbund" modified and "renamed"
> their Wolf-god.  In the Gmc. case, this would be Wodhanaz > Wotan >
> Odhinn > Godan > and possibly Gaut.
>    Perhaps, in the case of the Goths, their "Mannerbund" remains
> hidden from our records, or the records don't go back far enough (to
> Scandia), or they adopted the Eagle from the Sarmatians.
>    In any case, I'm sure the Wolf-god was present among the Goths, as
> he seems to have been in IE cultures from India to Scandinavia, he
> has just not revealed himself yet.  Perhaps the answer lies in Gothic
> raiding / war parties.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/09Lw8C/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/wWMplB/TM