[gothic-l] Re: Pietroasa - The Gothic Hoard

fericzobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 13 07:25:32 UTC 2002

Dear Bertil,

in the most recent sources that I have read, the hoard of Pietroasa
is currently assigned to the Visigoths. It is tentatively attributed
to the Visigothic leader Athanaric (4th century): it is supposed that
he burried the treasury (representing the Visigothic National
Treasury) before the decisive battle with the Huns. But he was
defeated, according to Ammianus Marcelinus, in "Caucaland" (Goth.
Hauhaland "Highland"), situated in Montes Serorum (actual name:
Muntii Siriu, in the curvature of the Carpathians, not far from
Pietroasa), and consequently the Visigoths fled south of Danube
without recuperating their hoard, that was uncovered in de 19th
century.
But there are also suppositions that the hoard of Pietroasa is
Ostrogothic, dating from the 5th century.
Alexandru Odobescu lived in the 19th century, and he was also the
first one who tempted to interprete the runic inscription of the
golden necklace. I don't know if his work was translated in English
or German.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Alexandru Odobescu deserves a special place within the history of
the
> Goths by having carried out an outstanding activity of supporting
and
> encouraging the first systematical archaeological diggings in
Romania.
> Among his significant writings, one can mention the description of
> "Tezaurul din Pietroasa" (The Pietroasa Hoard) (1900, 3 volumes)
known
> as "Closca cu pui", that is hosted nowadays by the National Museum
of
> History in Bucharest.
>
> Has Odobescu's _Tezaurul din Pietrroasa_ been translated into
> English or German?
>
> What's the latest on Pietroasa? Is it Ostrogothic or Visigothic?
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM