[gothic-l] Re: Early Germanic place-names in today Poland

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Aug 22 09:28:05 UTC 2002

Hi Ryszard,

that is really very interesting. I think one ineresting conclusion,
if indeed Babik's etymologies are correct, would be that at least
some Germanic people stayed in the area of modern Poland long after
the Goths, Vandals etc. are supposed to have left. Thus, the bulk of
Goths and Vandals are believed to have left the areas between Vistula
and Oder sometime at the end of the 2nd century, which is by and
large supported by archaeological evidence. Yet, Slavs have arrived
there only around 500AD. To explain the name continuity, some sort of
contact must have taken place and small groups of ancient Germans
seemed to have stayed in their homelands until the arrival of the
Slavs. Looking at Eastern Germany, Germanic placenames have
definitely survived the slavisation of the area from about 600AD. In
fact, I think most river names in Brandenburg, Saxony and
Mecklenburg/West-Pommerania, are Germanic. In addition, evidence has
been uncovered where Slavic settlements continued on Germanic
settlements, meaning that the Germanic settlement might still have
been occupied when the Slavs arrived.

cheers,
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Ryszard Derdzinski" <galadhorn at i...> wrote:
> Heils!
>
> Reikhardus again! I hope this information can be valuable for all
these who
> are interested in the earliest history of Goths and Vandals.
Zbigniew Babik
> in his "Najstarsza warstwa nazewnicza na ziemiach polskich" ('The
Oldest
> [...]
>
> It should be noted that these names occur mainly in two regions: in
> north-east Poland (Pomorze, Kujawy) and in south-west Poland
(Silesia).
> These regions are usually connected with Gothic and Vandalic
(Lugian)
> settlement in antiquity.
>
> The Early Germanic (East Germanic?) names in today Poland are
according to
> Babik as follows:
>
> 1. River-names ending with _-bok_ < Early Germanic _*-baki_ 'brook'
(German
> 'Bach'):
>
> [Polish] _Klodobok_ (Silesia) < [Early Germanic] _*Kalda-baki-_ (or
> _*Kalda-bakja_) 'cold-brook'; cf. German _Kaltbach_
>
> _Drybok_ (near Tczew) < _*?-baki-_ '?-brook' (the first element may
be
> pre-Germanic)
>
> _Lusobok_ (Silesia) < _*lausa-baki-_ 'empty, poor brook'
>
> _Olobok_ (rivers near Kalisz and Krosno) < _*?-baki-_ '?-brook'
(the first
> element may be pre-Germanic)
>
> 2. River-names ending with _-awa_ < Early Germanic _*-ahwó_ 'river'
> Goth.
> _*-ahva_:
>
> _Bierawa_ (Silesia), _Centawa_ (Silesia), _Dokawa_ (Silesia),
_Mierzawa_
> (Little Poland), _Moltawa_ (Pomerania), _Olawa_ (Silesia), _Opawa_
> (Silesia), _Oslawa_ (Little Poland), _Pilawa_ (Silesia), _Radawa_
(Silesia),
> _Smortawa_ (Silesia), _Stobrawa_ (Silesia), _Szprotawa_ (Silesia),
_Tymawa_,
> _Tyrnawa_, _Widawa_ (Silesia), _Wiszczawa_
>
> 3. Lake-names ending with _-ag_, _-adz_ < Early Germanic _*-u/inga-
_:

> _Wdzydze_ (a lake near Gothic stone circles in Odry and Wesiory and
in the
> area of Wielbark culture) < _*widu?-inga_ 'forest?-lake'
>
> _Trlag_ < _*Tru(l)l-unga_ 'Troll-lake'
>
> _Wieldzadz_ < _*Wilthj-i/unga_ 'Wild-lake'
>
> _Grudziadz_ < _*?-i/unga_ (sometimes connected with Gothic
_Greutingi_)

> _Zblag_ < _*Stibl?-inga_
>
> 4. _Skrwa_ < Old Polish _Strkwa_ < Goth. _*Struka_ 'brook, river'
(cf. ON
> _strjúka_ 'sich rasch bewegen', N _stryk_, _strok_)
>
> 5. _Goplo_ (lake) having the same etymology like ON _Gøpul_, Swedish
> _Gapern_ < _Gapeln_.
>
> 6. _Trloga_ < _*Tru(l)lag-_ '[river, marsh] of the troll(s)' (_*-ag-
_ is a
> relational
> element in Germanic)
>
> 7. _Nysa_ < _*Nós-aha?_ (from EGerm. _*nós-_ 'nose > fjord')
>
> 8. _Scinawa_ (Silesia) < _*Stain-ahva_? 'Stone-river'
>
> 9. _Wlodawa_ (Wielbark culture area) < _*Walth-(a)hwó_ 'Forest-
river'.

> 10. _Pelta_; cf. Norse and German names coming from Germanic
_*Fulthó_.

> NOTE: Polish place-names have been simplified - I don't use special
Polish

http://necik.mag.com.pl/~galadhorn/slask/index.htm
> "Sindarin Dictionary": http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/gobeth.htm

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now