[gothic-l] Review _Odin in Azov_

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 30 07:48:17 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:

> Thor Heyerdahl - Per Lilliestroem, Jakten pa Odin -
> Pa sporet av var fortid, Oslo, Norway, J.M.
> Stenersens Forlag, 2001.
> 320 pages.
>
> Per Lilliestroem: The remarkable thing with Illerup
> is that there are
> no literary reflections, only archaelogical.
> well with the migration of the Eruli from
> Scandinavia. The Eruli was
> a Gothic people. And they headed directly for the
> Black Sea area
> around Panticapaion at the Kerch Strait. The
> Gauts/Goths
> could well be a religious brotherhood.
>
> It is my intention to return to these matters in a
> number of contributions
> to the list.

*****GK: It will be interesting to note what
archaeological evidence exists to indicate an Erulian
presence "around Panticapaion at the Kerch Strait"
directly after a battle fought in South Denmark in the
latter half of the 2nd c. AD. The Bosporan State
(capital Panticapaion) was then at the height of its
power. An excellent work by the Ukrainian
archaeologist Borys Mahomedov has just recently been
published in Lublin ("Chernyakhovskaya kultura.
Problema Etnosa", 2001) as Tom I of the Monumenta
Studia Gothica, edited by Prof. Andrzej Kokowski (who
kindly sent me a copy for which many thanks). This
state of the art volume is indispensable reading for
anyone interested in the Goths. Mahomedov accepts (in
passing) the notion that the Eruli were a component of
the Chernyakhiv culture, and suggests that they may
have been primarily responsible for the presence of
"long houses" in various geographical locations
thereof. There is nothing, however, to indicate a
Germanic (Mahomedov thinks possibly Erulian) presence
at the mouth of the Don (Tanais)until ca. 425 AD.
We'll see if Heyerdahl's thesis is just another
variant of a long standing fantasy.*******

http://finance.yahoo.com

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM