[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Dec 2 23:46:03 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> --- åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at i...> wrote:
>  By the way,
> > I did not found the word "rau?s" in Codex argenteus.
> > Can anyone
> > comment whether this form is restored (e.g. from ON
> > "raud") or it is
> > known from some other documents?
> >
> > I also consider Reidgotaland as a "movable' notion.
> > Since it is
> > encountered in Icelandic sagas only a few times
> > while (as far as
> > I know) is represented on Swedish runic stones, the
> > initial allocation
> > of Reidgotaland should be searched somewhere in the
> > east.
>
> *****GK: Why not the Vistula? Modern science holds
> that the historical Goths (no matter where some of
> their components originated) were formed South of the
> Baltic, and were initially represented by the Wielbark
> culture (as were the Gepids). And we do have WIDSITH
> which suggests this location.******

I hope I do not disturb your polemics, but regarding one of the
initial questions I have noticed that you did not mention the Roek
Stone in Eastern Goetaland from around 800 AD:

".... I say this second, who nine generations ago lost his life with
the Hraidkutum; and died with them for his guilt. ThjódríkR the bold,
chief of sea-warriors, ruled over the shores of the Hraidsea. Now he
sits armed on his Kutu(Gothic horse), his shield strapped, the prince
of the Mariki. ...."

The last sentence probably refers to a statue of Theodoric being
moved to Aachen by Charlemagne around 800 AD. "Mariki" is also met in
the OE "Deor" with connection to Theodoric.

The text is not easy to interprete, but at least Hraidgotaland must
be situated at a sea. The mouth of Vistula is one of the
possibilities - as told in Widsith - if they in Sweden around 800 AD
regarded Theodoric as a successor of Ermaneric. As Theodoric was
regarded "chief of sea-warriors" we shall pay more attention to their
geographical names than their historical knowledge.

Jutland as Hreidgotaland is as far as I remember a much later
invention (Snorri).

Troels