[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 3 00:37:43 UTC 2002

--- Troels Brandt <trbrandt at post9.tele.dk> wrote:
I have noticed that you did not
> mention the Roek
> Stone in Eastern Goetaland from around 800 AD:
>
> ".... I say this second, who nine generations ago
> lost his life with
> the Hraidkutum; and died with them for his guilt.
> ThjódríkR the bold,
> chief of sea-warriors, ruled over the shores of the
> Hraidsea. Now he
> sits armed on his Kutu(Gothic horse), his shield
> strapped, the prince
> of the Mariki. ...."
>
> The last sentence probably refers to a statue of
> Theodoric being
> moved to Aachen by Charlemagne around 800 AD.
> "Mariki" is also met in
> the OE "Deor" with connection to Theodoric.
>
> The text is not easy to interprete, but at least
> Hraidgotaland must
> be situated at a sea. The mouth of Vistula is one of
> the
> possibilities - as told in Widsith - if they in
> Sweden around 800 AD
> regarded Theodoric as a successor of Ermaneric. As
> Theodoric was
> regarded "chief of sea-warriors" we shall pay more
> attention to their
> geographical names than their historical knowledge.
>
> Jutland as Hreidgotaland is as far as I remember a
> much later
> invention (Snorri).
>
> Troels

******GK: Some points in connection with the above.
(1)If we count about 25/30 years to a generation, then
9X30=225/270, which certainly brings us close to the
time of the "death" of Italian Ostrogothia, symbolized
by Theodoric.
(2) But Theodoric here would appear to be not just the
heir of Ermanaric (not known to be a "sea-warrior")
but of Berig "who crossed the sea".
(3) And Reidgotaland always points to something
past,and great, but gone with the wind. Now what would
be the implication of someone seeing the entire Gothic
saga on the Continent in these terms? A descendant of
migrants back north?
(4) Would the inhabitants of Easter Gotland in ca. 800
see themselves as Swedes or Gauts (or both)?******