[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Tue Dec 3 07:19:44 UTC 2002

Thank you for disturbing our polemics that begins

to get aimless and mentioning the Roek Stone.

Just this stone put in my mind the idea that

Reidgotaland might be identified with

Hermanaricus' Empire by Jordanes because

the mentioned "sea-warriors" are good contenders

for the role of Gothic pirates since III c.,

which could originate from the Bosporus and

succeeded by "dromites". Accordingly, Hraidsea

(HraidmaraR on the stone) should be in this case

the Black Sea rather than Baltic. I'd identify

Baltic islands and shores, Jutland included,

as Eygotaland of sagas.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Excuse me for digressing from the theme,

but I have a pure technical question.

How do you represent symbols like ? [th]

(e.g. in rau?s) or d (e.g. in Hraidgotaland)?

Those are OK on my screen but appear as "?"

in the Gothic-l list. What have I to do with this?

Vladimir