[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 3 11:35:27 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

>  Later this
> > notion shifted to northwest along with general
> > movement direction
> > of Germanic tribes, Heruls specifically. Finally, it
> > drifted to Baltic Sea
> > and contemporary Denmark. Of course, I mean no
> > direct connection
> > between Reidgotaland and Russia. However, Goths
> > remained
> > in Crimea until XVI Ó. (at least).
>
> *****GK: That is indeed arguable, even if the notion
> that a distinct Gothic language persisted among the
> Crimean "Goths" is not absolutely certain.******

A distinct Gothic language persisted among the Crimean Goths at least
until the 16th century.  In that century, the Flemish Ogier Gislain
van Busbecq (ambassador of Emperor Charles V) met in Constantinople
Crimean Goths, from whom he collected a list of some 80 words and
short phrases. That language is clearly Germanic (with some Iranic
influence) and some words (like ada "egg", fyder "four", mine "moon",
mycha "sword", ies "he") prove that it is a descendant of Gothic. It
is assumed that the Crimean Gothic language ceased to be spoken (and
the Crimean Goths disappeared as distinct ethnic group) in the 18th
century, because then was abolished the Alano-Gothic orthodox
bishopric of Crimea.
There was a lot of interesting discussions on this list along the
years about the Crimean Goths, with a lot of references quoted. If
you search the archive using the keyword "Crimean", you will retrieve
those messages.

Francisc