[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Dec 3 13:43:04 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > Tthe Roek Stone in Eastern Goetaland from around 800 AD:
> >
> > ".... I say this second, who nine generations ago
> > lost his life with
> > the Hraidkutum; and died with them for his guilt.
> > ThjódríkR the bold,
> > chief of sea-warriors, ruled over the shores of the
> > Hraidsea. Now he
> > sits armed on his Kutu(Gothic horse), his shield
> > strapped, the prince
> > of the Mariki. ...."

> ******GK: Some points in connection with the above.
> (1)If we count about 25/30 years to a generation, then
> 9X30=225/270, which certainly brings us close to the
> time of the "death" of Italian Ostrogothia, symbolized
> by Theodoric.

- and probably also the disappearance of the Germanic culture at the
mouth of Vistula at the old trade route. This was at the coast
opposite Easter Goetaland.

> (2) But Theodoric here would appear to be not just the
> heir of Ermanaric (not known to be a "sea-warrior")
> but of Berig "who crossed the sea".

Ermaneric was wellknown in the English poems and in the Norse Myths.
Theodoric (Dietrich) was also wellknown - but in the Norse myths
under the name Frode as incorporated among the Danish kings. Berig is
more difficult to identify.

> (3) And Reidgotaland always points to something
> past,and great, but gone with the wind. Now what would
> be the implication of someone seeing the entire Gothic
> saga on the Continent in these terms? A descendant of
> migrants back north?

Maybe. Why did Varin mention Theodoric at a stone in Sweden 275 years
after his death in memory of a dead son if Varin he there was no
connection?

> (4) Would the inhabitants of Easter Gotland in ca. 800
> see themselves as Swedes or Gauts (or both)?

Probably both, but this could be a long discussion among Swedes.

Troels