[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 3 14:35:03 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> *****GK: Francisc,my only source for the Busbecq list
> was Vasiliev's work on the Goths in the Crimea. That
> is also where my doubt comes from. Have you any
> additional references? By the 16th c. there should
> also have been discernible Greek and Turkic influences
> on this language. Has this been demonstrated?*****

The whole Busbecq list, together with an excellent analysis, was
posted to this Gothic list by David Salo (message no. 427 of April 7,
1999). This is my source for the whole list. Before I found only a
few words in a German etymological dictionary and in a treatise of
comparative grammar of Germanic languages.
Most of the words of the list are Germanic. There are also a few
Iranic words (sada "hundred", hazer "thousand", and probably also
stap "goat") and also some words of dubious origin: one of them
(telich "foolish") may be of Turkic origin, and other
(cadariou "soldier") is supposed by David to be of Greek origin
(kentyrion < Latin). It is possible that the Turkic and Greek
influence was stronger, but is not reflected by the limited sample of
Busbecq.

Francisc