[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 3 14:50:32 UTC 2002

--- Francisc Czobor <fericzobor at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...>
> wrote:
> > *****GK: Francisc,my only source for the Busbecq
> list
> > was Vasiliev's work on the Goths in the Crimea.
> That
> > is also where my doubt comes from. Have you any
> > additional references? By the 16th c. there should
> > also have been discernible Greek and Turkic
> influences
> > on this language. Has this been demonstrated?*****
> >

> The whole Busbecq list, together with an excellent
> analysis, was
> posted to this Gothic list by David Salo (message
> no. 427 of April 7,
> 1999). This is my source for the whole list. Before
> I found only a
> few words in a German etymological dictionary and in
> a treatise of
> comparative grammar of Germanic languages.
> Most of the words of the list are Germanic. There
> are also a few
> Iranic words (sada "hundred", hazer "thousand", and
> probably also
> stap "goat") and also some words of dubious origin:
> one of them
> (telich "foolish") may be of Turkic origin, and
> other
> (cadariou "soldier") is supposed by David to be of
> Greek origin
> (kentyrion < Latin). It is possible that the Turkic
> and Greek
> influence was stronger, but is not reflected by the
> limited sample of
> Busbecq.
>
> Francisc

*****GK: Thanks for the reference. I suppose one of
the reasons for the gradual extinction of Gothic in
the Crimea was the fact that it does not seem to have
been used as a liturgical language (nor Alan) despite
the existence of the "Alano-Gothic Bishopric". The
Greek hierarchy was not very open to the introduction
of "barbarian" languages into ecclesiastical rituals
(except where absolutely necessary), and the
enlightened attitudes of Constantine/Cyril and
Methodius were not emulated in subsequent centuries.
There was a "bishop of the Goths" in the Crimea before
the time of Wulfila, but the liturgical language of
his flock was probably Greek. And the fact that
Wulfila was a "heretic" didn't help the status of
Gothic in later times.****