[gothic-l] Re: Greutung, Treving, Rus

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Wed Dec 4 13:28:01 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., <vegorov at i...> wrote:

> Just this stone put in my mind the idea that
> Reidgotaland might be identified with
> Hermanaricus' Empire by Jordanes because
> the mentioned "sea-warriors" are good contenders
> for the role of Gothic pirates since III c.,
> which could originate from the Bosporus and
> succeeded by "dromites". Accordingly, Hraidsea
> (HraidmaraR on the stone) should be in this case
> the Black Sea rather than Baltic. I'd identify
> Baltic islands and shores, Jutland included,
> as Eygotaland of sagas.

These pirates were Goths, Heruls and the unknown Borani - called
Scythes in some sources - mentioned at a few campaigns in the 3rd
century AD at the Black Sea. Why should they in Sweden in the 9th
century be identified with Theodoric's soldiers?

Are Theodoric or Ermaneric called kings of "sea-warriors" in any
other sources in the meantime?

Where is the connection between Theodoric and these ancestors of the
people in the country of the Goetes being killed 9 generations ago?

Troels