[gothic-l] High-seat2

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Tue Dec 10 23:38:55 UTC 2002

Hails Jeff

That is pretty much correct. hauhaim can be parsed as neut. dat. pl. of hauhs "high", but in this instance it modifies stolam (mas. dat. pl.), so it is here masculine, not neuter, though they
both have the same form.

In Hrolfs Saga Kraka, "Hrólfr konungr svarar: 'Á konungspallinn sjálfan skulum vér setjast, ok mun ek setjast í öndvegi.'?  In Gothic this might be "Hrothiwulfs thiudans qithith: 'Ana
*reiki-mesa silbin gasatjan weis uns, jah ik mik in *andawiga satja.  Konungspallinn is of course the 'royal platform'. Öndvegr I translate *andawigs without benefit of the former's etymology.

-matthew