[gothic-l] Re: Heruli / Harii

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Wed Dec 11 00:51:00 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...>"
> <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > In the same way Tacitus' Harii is just a translation
> > of a Germanic
> > name which elsewhere is unknown to us though maybe
> > deriving from
> > HarjaR

> > Would it make sense to add the diminutive suffix
> > "-ila" to
> > HarjaR/Harii?

I can add that his way to use "-ila" has earlier been mentioned
regarding Attila - which is not so far in thinking from a Herulian
earl though being a proper name.

> ******GK: Perhaps the excellent linguists on Cybalist
> might solve some (or all) of these linguistic
> problems?

I think we have excellent linguists here too.

>  I see that I've jotted down in my Pliny
> notes that he knew of "Hirri" where Tacitus spoke of
> "Harii".

I agree that the Hirri is a possibility, but that was earlier and
will not change my arguments. However this is not so close to the
usual HarjaR-explanation and I have seen the Hirri combined with the
Sciri too.

> I'll have a look at my copy of Mahomedov
> (2001) and see what he has to say about the Eruli in
> the context of his analysis of the Chernyakhiv
> culture.******

Thanks, I will appreciate that - but they will be different to
separate if they just were a mixed population at the southeast side
of the Goths - all being companions of the Huns and Attila later.

Troels