[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 12 00:10:51 UTC 2002

--- "hrafnsnest <mimir at smithsys.net>"
<mimir at smithsys.net> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh
> <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> > In a chapter entitled "The ethnic structure of the
> > Chernyakhiv culture", Mahomedov devotes a few
> > paragraphs to the Eastern Eruli (cf. p. 119). He
> > identifies them with the following archaeological
> > items: "long houses" (esp. "3-naved" ones),
> > "monster"-fibulae, runic inscriptions, iron combs,
> and
> > amphorae of the Olbian type.

> Hails George!
>
> Does Mahomadov reproduce the runic inscriptions?  If
> so, could you post them?  Also, please elaborate on
> the "monster fibulae.
>
> Sael,
> Jeff

******GK: M. has lots of drawings in the book, but a
quick overview hasn't revealed a reproduction of the
runic inscriptions he mentions. I'll have another
look, perhaps he elucidates this in textu. But this
will take a little while (his work is excellent but
lacks an index!). As to "monstruoso" type fibulae: M.
describes these as "sumptuous silver objects,
sometimes gold-covered" (p. 68) Adding: "most of their
Western exemplaries have been found in Sweden and
Denmark, in North Germany and Poland." There, they are
dated as of the 3rd c. There is a beautiful drawing of
some such fibulae on p. 270 (the German accompanying
text calls them "Fibeln aus schlechtem Silber")
Unfortunately I don't know how to scan things...*****