[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 12 01:23:34 UTC 2002

--- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at post9.tele.dk>" <> Thanks
George - This is interesting.

> The positions make sense regarding your earlier
> explanation of the
> Greek name, but the dating does not correspond with
> the history
> unless this was a small group going to Tanais. It is
> not likely that
> they should be able to get a strong kingdom in
> Moravia in at least
> the last quarter of the 5th century if they did not
> join the Gepidian
> uprise against the Huns.

*****GK: I thought they did. They are certainly
mentioned as combatting at "Nedao".*****

 It would make more sense if
> they moved to
> Tanais 350-400 AD after they were defeated by
> Ermaneric - and then
> followed the Huns and Alans.
>
> How certain is his dating?

*****GK: Only as certain as similar "archaeological"
datings are. Cross-referencing various objects at a
site with others that are "datable". Actually one
could argue that the Eruli were there slightly
earlier: one "generation" is not considered crucial in
archaeology.*****

> Is the dating based on the assumption, that the
> Alans had left?

****GK: I think it is based on the assumption that
since there are no "datable" Erulian/East Germanic
objects around the Don delta after ca. 450 AD then the
Eruli et al. had left. I think many Alans stayed
behind however. (The later "Yassi"=As).*****

> How is "distinctly Erulian appearence" defined in
> Ukraine?

****GK: As I mentioned earlier: "long houses", etc..
BTW Mahomedov follows the view that the Eruli were
tossed out of Scandinavia by the Danes and split into
two groups, one settling on the Rhine and the other
going East and joining the Goths.*****

*****GK: Not as far as I know.*****

> Could this be remains from another Gothic tribe as
> some runes were
> found in Rumania too?

*****GK: Actually M. does mention that other "small"
tribes might have been there with the Eruli, esp. the
Eudusians (he supposes these might have been from
Jutland)******

*****GK: I'll give you a quick report on those acc. to
M.****

*****GK: #*&%@# looks like I'm going to have to reread