[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Dec 12 11:04:23 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

*(Answer to Jeff)******As to "monstruoso" type fibulae: M.
describes these as "sumptuous silver objects,
sometimes gold-covered" (p. 68) Adding: "most of their
Western exemplaries have been found in Sweden and
Denmark, in North Germany and Poland." There, they are
dated as of the 3rd c. There is a beautiful drawing of
some such fibulae on p. 270 (the German accompanying
text calls them "Fibeln aus schlechtem Silber")*******

> --- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...>" <>
>
> > How is "distinctly Erulian appearence" defined in
> > Ukraine?
>
> ****GK: As I mentioned earlier: "long houses", etc..
> BTW Mahomedov follows the view that the Eruli were
> tossed out of Scandinavia by the Danes and split into
> two groups, one settling on the Rhine and the other
> going East and joining the Goths.*****

Among the historians this interpretation of Jordanes is outdated -
and this was the only background for the theory - but of course this
does not exclude a Scandinavian origin.

> > Could this be remains from another Gothic tribe as
> > some runes were
> > found in Rumania too?
>
> *****GK: Actually M. does mention that other "small"
> tribes might have been there with the Eruli, esp. the
> Eudusians (he supposes these might have been from
> Jutland)******
>

> > Where were these runes placed? (I am of course also
> > interested in a
> > copy like Jeff if it is convenient)
>
> *****GK: #*&%@# looks like I'm going to have to reread
> the book (:=)). Patience requested..****

Of course we will be patient. You have already been to a great help.
Regarding the Hari-connection it is interesting that a fibula with
the inscription "Hariso" was found in Himlingoeje at Sealand - by
some archaeologists regarded as one of the first chieftain seats and
tradingplaces of the Dani. This society existed 160-365 AD when the
Vistula-traderute was one of the important trade routes between the
Roman Empire and the Baltic Sea. The name "Hariso" is also found at a
Herulian tombstone in Concordia. Much earlier we had the "Harigast"-
inscription at the Negauer-helmet in Slovenia (Dirk found an article
combining this with the first runes) - and in the 6/7th century we
had a runic "Hariwulf"-inscription at the coast of Blekinge in the
territory of the Dani. Maybe just coincidenses, but combining my
initial "Erilar"-question to the linguists with your information, it
is interesting. Around half of the "Erilar"-inscriptions are in or
close to the old area of the Dani.

> ****GK: I think it is based on the assumption that
> since there are no "datable" Erulian/East Germanic
> objects around the Don delta after ca. 450 AD then the
> Eruli et al. had left. I think many Alans stayed
> behind however. (The later "Yassi"=As).*****

It will make sense that they here learned to be horsemen as the
people from the plains - and that they in this way got the Iranian
influence in some of their names - earlier discussed at this list.
The "As"-name inspired Heyerdahl, but the Scandinavian scholars
killed that idea by referring to "Ansu".

Troels