[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 12 14:11:36 UTC 2002

--- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at post9.tele.dk>" > > BTW
(GK)Mahomedov follows the view that the Eruli were
> > tossed out of Scandinavia by the Danes and split
> into
> > two groups, one settling on the Rhine and the
> other
> > going East and joining the Goths.*****
>
>(Troels) Among the historians this interpretation of
Jordanes
> is outdated -
> and this was the only background for the theory -
> but of course this
> does not exclude a Scandinavian origin.

*****GK: M. cites R. Laser as his authority. Yes, this
is a work of 1983. But his use of more recent ideas on
these and related issues is interesting. He is quite
familiar, for instance, with the notions of Wolfram,
Bierbrauer, Kokowski (of course since the Lublin
scholar published M's book!), Kazanski etc. etc.. and
cites them copiously in other contexts. He tries to
avoid controversy where he can, so when he follows
"outdated" interpretations, this means that he finds
the older view more persuasive. I suspect that e.g.
with regard to the Eruli, the significant quantity of
Scandinavian material discovered in the Chernyakhiv
sites suggested the connection to him and prompted the
fall back on the earlier view.*****