[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

konrad_oddsson <konrad_oddsson@yahoo.com> konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 15 11:28:30 UTC 2002

Háilái Dirk, Troels jah galistans allái!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:

> Hi Troels,
>
> I think the component 'Hari-' and similar might be too common as a
pointer for any ethnic attributions etc. As examples, we have
Hariulf (a Burgundian in Trier, 4th cent.); Ulfhari a Saxon, runic
3rd cent.; Inghari a Saxon, runic 3rd cent.; Harietto a Frank 4th
cent. (?) also Haribert as Frankish royal name and equivalently
Aripert as Langobardic royal name. Overall, I think the
component 'Hari' etc (i.e. Army, germ. Heer) is common Germanic and
not specific to Heruli or any other group.

> Cheers,
> Dirk

Yes, indeed. The component "Hari-" is far too common to have ethnic
attributions within the Germanic realm (see also "Swâbaharjaz",
"Harja", and so forth - harjaz/harjz/hariz into the i-umlauted North
and West Germanic forms). Also, no recognized sequence of changes in
Germanic linguistics (at least that I am aware of) is going to make
a connection between "erilaz" and either "herul-" or "harj-". The
form "herul-" could, of course, be corrupt.

> PS With regards to the overall discussion, I find the attribution
of certain house types (3-naved long houses) to the Heruli highly
questionable. Three-naved long houses, were common in many Germanic
areas. Similarly, iron combs are found in the Wielbark culture and
among other groups. If anything they likely had a geographical
distribution not an ethnic distribution. The same is true for
the 'grosse monstroese' Fibula-type. This fibula has a fairly wide
distribution and cannot be linked to one specific tribe the the
Heruli.

I agree. The distribution must be geographical rather than ethnic.

 Finally, the attempts to link runic objects to Heruli is in
> my view a very old and misguided approach based on this assumption
> that the Heruls/Erilar are the 'original runic masters'. Finally,
as you correctly pointed out the reference that the Dani expelled
the Heruli does not refer to the 3rd century; again this is an mis-
interpretation of earlier scholarship.

Yes. Also, there is one point about runes which I feel compelled to
make over and over again: they were a regular alphabetic sequence
used primarily for communication. We can forget the trendy books
on "rune magic" and the "deeper meaning" of the runes. As far as
their origin is concerned, the evidence points to the area we call
Denmark today. While it is possible that these alphabetic characters
were first developed by a member (or members) of some such Germanic
community as the "Goths" or "Heruli" while in southern Europe, or
that some more northerly trader or traveler (or travelers) did so
while in the south, the bulk of the evidence clearly points in a
different direction - in this case to Denmark. Why? Well, I will
start by quoting Haugen:

"The first direct testimonials to any kind of Gmc language are found
in Scandinavia. These are the inscriptions in the runic alphabet
beginning about A.D. 200, most of which have been found within the
confines of present-day Denmark and Norway."

Extant runic inscriptions provide evidence, especially if they are
not on movable objects. While all kinds of claims have been made as
to the "ethnic" nature of the older inscriptions on movable objects,
no certainty can be attached to them. Claims for a "Herulian"
or "Gothic" origin of the earliest attested runic alphabet are based
on pure speculation. There was enough contact between non-Germanic
southern European traders and their more northerly cousins, before
and during the period of the earliest inscriptions, to account for
an alphabetic innovation such as the runes. As regards the "Gothic"
origin of the runes, I will quote Nielsen on the older inscriptions:

"As for the purported Goth. and West Gmc. inscriptions contained in
the Early Runic corpus, these would, at best, appear to confine
themselves to a small number of bracteates with West Germanic
features. The claim for a Gothic element seems weekly founded."

I agree. I can see nothing in the extant inscriptions on movable
objects that points to a "Gothic" origin. On the contrary, the
evidence of both the language and the location of the earliest
inscriptions points to a common NWG (North West Germanic) origin,
likely within the borders of modern Denmark. Any map showing the
distribution of the earliest runic finds will confirm this. Now let
us look at another map, this one showing the Germanic tribes c.100
A.D. (see Haugen, pg. 104). In Denmark see the names "Teutoni,
Vandilii, Cimbri, Eudoses, Varini, Charudes, Aviones, Ambrones, and
Anglii". Immediately to the south (from west to east) we see the
names "Frisii, Chasuarii, Chauci, Saxones, Varini, Langobardi, and
Semnones". Further east we see the names "Burgundiones, Rugii, and
Gutones", while just north of these (in modern Sweden) we see the
names "Suiones, Gautae, Dani, Gotones, Heruli". Immediately to the
north of Denmark (in modern Norway) we see the names "Charudes,
Rugii, and Hasdingi". Whatever map of early Germania we might
prefer, it is nevertheless clear that its geographical spread was
once more northerly than it is today. As far as the language of the
earliest inscriptions is concerned, it points to a common North West
Germanic tongue (see Antonsen, Nielsen, and others), the ancestor of
Old High German, Old Saxon, Old English, Old Norse, Old Frisian and
other less attested dialects. Translation? The guys who raised the
rocks and carved runes on their belongings could have been Saxons,
Danes, Norsemen, Frisians, Swedes, Angles or members of any other
NWG group during the period of the earliest inscriptions. They were
almost certainly not "Herulian" or "Gothic" in as much as these
terms represent groups known to have once lived in southern Europe.
By way of conclusion I will say that while our unnamed alphabetic
innovator may or may not have called himself a Dane, the odds seem
to favor him being at least a geographical "Dane". One would expect
such an innovation as a Germanic alphabet to arise in a commercial
center of Germanic peoples such as Denmark. Whether our innovator
was a Saxon riding north to sell his wares or a Norseman rowing
south to do the same, the geography of his innovation seems fairly
clear. I doubt if anyone even gave a damn where he was from. It was
only the innovation itself that mattered.

> > > ****GK: I think it is based on the assumption that
> > > since there are no "datable" Erulian/East Germanic
> > > objects around the Don delta after ca. 450 AD then the
> > > Eruli et al. had left. I think many Alans stayed
> > > behind however. (The later "Yassi"=As).*****
> >

> > It will make sense that they here learned to be horsemen as the
people from the plains - and that they in this way got the Iranian
influence in some of their names - earlier discussed at this list.
The "As"-name inspired Heyerdahl, but the Scandinavian scholars
killed that idea by referring to "Ansu".

> > Troels

The nasal "n" in forms like "ansu-" and "gansu-" is a Proto-Germanic
innovation, the phonological influence of which can be seen in those
languages which descend from it. While its existence reminds one of
the "i" so often produced by Sievers, its development must have been
earlier. The corresponding Indo-Aryan word is "asurah", while the
Persian and Hittite forms are "ahura" and "ashur" respectively. As
one might expect, all these words refer to the supreme being in the
singular and to demi-gods in the plural. Like the Greeks and the
Romans, our Proto-Germanic ancestors recognized the shining heaven
above as *Tîwaz (Gr. Zeus, Lt. Jupitar). Unlike the Greeks and the
Romans, however, they did not place *Tîwaz at the head of their
pantheon of elemental gods, but rather *Wôðanaz, a vernerized wind-
god (compare Latin "Vates", Indian "Vatah"). Also unlike the Greeks
and the Romans, they recognized an invisible and non-elemental god
which they called "Ansuz". This is why scholars refer to Ásatrú, the
Germanic heathen religion, as an "Aryan" faith as opposed to calling
it "European", "Greco-Roman", or even "Germanic". It is because it
shares with Hinduism and Zoroastrianism the distinction of refering
to the supreme being by this word rather than by the more generic
Indo-European sounding "tîwaz", which it uses for the heaven in the
singular and for its elemental gods in the plural (ON tívar). The
Germanic "ansuz", on the other hand, can refer to the supreme being
only, except in the plural (where it means "gods") and when used
with reference to a specific and named god (compare "sá áss, er Þórr
heitir"). As "Aryan" can only refer to Indo-Iranians and not to any
other Indo-European people, scholars´ use of the term is only
analogical with reference to the Asa-religion. While some scholars
believe that this religion was imported from India or Persia through
trade, others insist that Indians or Persians themselves spread the
religion in Germania through trade and settlement, still others say
that the religion followed the Germanics from an original Asian home
where they lived together with the ancestors of the Indians and the
Parsis. I´ll let you draw your own conclusions. One thing that is
for certain is that there never was a "man" named "Odin", regardless
of what Heyerdahl or Snorri Sturluson or any old kingly geneology
might say. It´s simply a folk story that some important chieftains
availed themselves of at the point in their ancestral lineage where
memory failed and no older names could be remembered. The "children
of Abraham" did the same where memory failed....and who was before
Adam? Well....uh....you know. Food for thought for what its worth.

Glad Yule to You All,
Konrad.