[gothic-l] Heruli, Rus

?????? ???????? vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Mon Dec 16 09:55:30 UTC 2002

Hi Lars!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for help.

You are almost right. Gleb Lebedev (from St. Petersburg)

only stated a widely accepted supposition to derive

the etycon "rus'" from Finnish "ruotsi" with overall

meaning Sweden. The supposition is supported

by a parallel -- old Russian "sum'" < "suomi" meaning Finns.

I share this position entirely.

The crucial point is just origin of Finnish "ruotsi"

where I'm searching nonconventional solution ascending

to ancient Goths.

G. Lebedev summed up two existing derivations from Swedish:

a) from a root "rod" with a general meaning "rowing";

b) from "drott".

I'd like to derive "ruotsi" from Gothic rauths or hroth.

That is the point.

Vladimir