SV: [gothic-l] Heruli, Rus

ring_danes_dk lars.larsen at RING-DANES.DK
Sun Dec 15 23:15:08 UTC 2002

Hi Vladimir

I have heard a russian archaeologist from Skt.Petersburg, prof. Lebedev,
Talking about Rurik (800 century) saying that Rus could mean the
rowers on the rowing-warboats from 'Sweden/Denmark'
The finnish word for 'Sweden' should be Ruotski - pretty close to Rus.

Sorry if this has already been discussed in this group or I am missing a
point here,
I just recently joined,

Cheers
Lars Larsen

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Åãîðîâ Âëàäèìèð [mailto:vegorov at ipiran.ru]
Sendt: 15. december 2002 10:11
Til: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Emne: [gothic-l] Heruli, Rus

Hi!

Regarding the GK's suggestion on Heruli as "men of worth" in ancient
Germanic.

Excuse me for returning to my peculiarity to look for origins of the
ethnonym "Rus"
among ancient Goths. Just the Heruli could be that people of seafarers
and pirates
at the Black Sea mentioned in the middle of 3rd century in the context
of the assault
at Pitiuntus. (BTW my apologies for an evident mistake in my previous
message
where I wrote 4th century instead.) Unfortunately I cannot give a
specific reference.
Can anybody (maybe GK)? In any case, the Troels' Heruli as pirates in
the Rhine-mouth
in 5-6th centuries seem being very relevant.

My supposition was that "Rus" is derivative from Gothic "rau?s". Mathew
gave me
an alternative to derive "Rus" from Gothic "hro?". May "hro?" correlate
with
"men of worth"? If yes, doesn't this derivation support a connection
between Heruli
and Scandinavia?

Vladimir

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to