[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

gunnerwold <gunnerwold@yahoo.com> gunnerwold at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 16 09:10:50 UTC 2002

Hello Bob, Troels and everyone. Just a few comments on the Odin
discussion.

> Troels writes:
> > As far as I can see you have just argued that Odin could easily
be a king/chieftain/ancestor like Abraham.

I don't think so. My major was in forestry, but I also took a lot of
anthropology in college - enough to have looked at ancestor worship
in many cultures. Odin doesn't really fit the bill. First the kings
claimed him as their patron to strengthen their power, then as time
passed they claimed actual descent from the god. Christians later
took advantage of these silly claims by heathen kings and used it to
prove that their chief god was really a man. This scenario is often
repeated in converted cultures. It happens during the transitional
period. Later the cultural traditions are forgotten and replaced by
Hebrew ones from the Bible. This is also what happened to the Goths,
at least as far as I can tell. Odin and the other viking gods were
the same ones the original Goths worshipped before their culture was
destroyed through assimilation. Their gods were definitely not human.
Just my thoughts.

> Bob
> I´m not an anthropologist, however, and
> it seems more like a question for anthropologists. As to the name -
> I researched the name and came to basically the same conclusion as
> Konrad and others have: an attested Asian wind god.

I have some background in Anthropology. Odin is definitely a wind god
and not a human. But I'm not sure why he became the main Germanic
god. Do you have any more information about the Asian connection? I'm
interested in this because the Nordic gods have always seemed Asian
to me. Were there Asians in Scandinavia a long time ago? I don't
think Germanic people would have developed any religion on their own.
Christianity is borrowed from the Jews like Islam is. Maybe they were
borrowing from the Asians before that and then changing things to fit
their way of life. Just my thoughts.

Gunner