[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 21 01:34:20 UTC 2002

--- Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:
> I think this is a very weird discussion. We are
> discussing who is
> most Christian Arians, Ortodox or Catholics.
>
> It is a fact that most of the old pagan rites were
> incorporated by
> the Christian priests into the new religon (at least
> in Scandinavia).
> By doing so the priests managed to introduce their
> religion and let
> the people continue with their old pagan rites. Many
> of these pagan
> rites are still in practice today.
>
> The conclusion of the discussion must be that most
> of the Christian
> world is still pagan in practices.
>
> Tore

*****GK: I absolutely agree. I think we could come up
with infinite examples of this. In East Slavdom for
instance, a tremendous amount of pre-Christian stuff
was incorporated into the new Christian civilization.
In many places there even existed what was called
"dvojevirja/dvoeverie" (in the eyes of "better"
Christians)as late as the 19th century. In Brittany
(Bretagne) a large number of ancient local pagan
spiritual entities were summarily made "saints". We
could go on and on. So the survival of old pagan
rituals or values among the Goths is hardly a surprise
as is the occasional despondency of the Christian
priestly class about it, and their effort to
"regulate" this through legislation. It in no way
derogates from the reality of Gothic
Christianity.*****